- listen to a radio debate on teenagers and technology
- discuss the dangers and benefits of new technologies
- do a sentence matching exercise
- prepare and write an IELTS style question on the subject
- Should teenagers be prevented from using new technologies or should they be trusted to develop their self-awareness of the dangers of modern gadgets?
- How can teenagers be protected or protect themselves?
"Bringing Up Britain"
Mariella Fostrup is joined by a panel of child protection experts and commentators to debate the dangers and benefits of raising ‘digital kids’. Sexting, using a smartphone to send indecent images to others, is a particular worry to parents of teenagers. Mariella asks whether teenagers should be prevented from using these technologies or whether they should be trusted to develop their self-awareness of the dangers of modern gadgets.
In the first episode of the new series of Bringing Up Britain, Mariella is joined by Professor Tanya Byron, Professor Lydia Plowman, Julie Johnson, Helen King (Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre) and Professor Sonia Livingstone.
Listen to the clip
- What ideas are suggested to protect teenagers from danger?
Also on audioboo http://audioboo.fm/boos/969034-sexting-is-technology-endangering-teenagers
3) Match the sentences
Look at the exercise below
Match the beginnings and ends of the sentences. Listen again if you need to.
Printable worksheet here
- Which of the above ideas do you agree / disagree with?
1) Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "New advances in technology are doing more harm than good to teenagers". Use specific reasons and examples to support your position. (IELTS - 250 words)
2) Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "The internet is a danger to teenagers and acces to it should be strictly controlled". Use specific reasons and examples to support your position. (IELTS - 250 words)
Staying Safe Online - Exposed video
Should parents follow their children on facebook?
Does more technology mean more ommunication?