- discuss music and nature
- practise some vocabulary connected with music and nature
- listen to a sound from nature and try and guess what it is
- watch a clip about music in nature
- do some comprehension activities
- What sounds do we hear in nature? Write a list eg wind, birds singing...
- Are these sounds musical?
- Do you think there is music in nature?
Discuss / Listen
Listen to the sound clip below.
It's the sound of something in nature.
- What do you think it is? Can you guess?
- Is it an animal, an Insect or something else? (Use - It might be a... / It could be.../ it sounds like.... )
- Do you like the sound?
- Could you dance to it?
- Is it music?
You can find out what the rhythm is in the video clip below. But before you watch...
You are going to watch a video
Check you know the meanings of the following words which feature in the video clip.
Match the words with their definitions.
You are going to watch a clip from the BBC TV series "The Rhythm of Life". It's about music in nature and is presented by George Martin.
- What things from nature can you see in the clip?
- What sounds from nature do you hear?
- At 3:40 you will hear the rhythm above. What is it?
- Are you surprised at what the rhythm is?
3) Listen again to Bernie Kraus' explanation of how the rhythm is made and fill in the gaps
Download printable worksheets here
- Is the sound clip really music? What is "music"?
- Do you agree with George Martin that only humans can make music "because it takes such a high degree of intelligence and organization and we are the only animals capable of doing it" or, like Bernie Krause, do you have a more open mind?
|© D. Mainwood|
Write an essay discussing one of the questions above. Support your opinions with examples.
- What can we do about the environment? Advanced, CAE, Environment, FCE, IELTS, Science, Upper Intermediate, Writing an argument
- Pop Quiz Games, Intermediate Music, Pre-Intermediate, Question Forms, Questions, Quizzes
- What's so special about the Beatles? British Culture, Famous People, Fashion, History, Life in the UK, Listening, Music, Upper Intermediate, Webquest